English French German Italian Spanish Welsh
Search Llangollen

Georgian Llangollen (7)

Plas Newydd (originally Pen-y-Maes) was home to the Ladies of Llangollen (Eleanor Butler and Sarah Ponsonby) and their friend and housekeeper, Mary Carryl from 1780.…
The Horseshoe Pass (A542), known in Welsh as Bwlch yr Oernant (pass of the cold stream), dates from 1811 and was one of a series…
The building known previously as the Old Armoury and now the Old Lock-up, was originally erected in 1834/5 to serve as a jail with two…
When Mary Carryl, housekeeper to the Ladies of Llangollen died in 1809, it was decided that when the time came all three would be buried…
The Hand Hotel in Church Street dates at least from the early 1700s and was one of several coaching inns, serving travellers en route from…
Originally the King’s Head, the name was changed to the Royal Hotel after the visit by Princess Victoria (the future Queen Victoria) and her mother,…
Llangollen is generally regarded as a Victorian town, and it is true a great deal of the planning and building of the town we see…